Thursday, August 31, 2006

Several Things

1. I have been without television, internet, and telephone service since tuesday evening. The television and internet privation was vaguely bearable. The phone thing, on the other hand, was more than I could stand. I use the phone a lot. I like the phone a lot. Foreigners like to use the phone a lot.

2. Boy1 said to me yesterday, 'I love you more than my heart can stand.'

3. I was tucking Boy2 into bed last night. I said, 'Goodnight my monkey.' We had just finished reading Hand Hand Fingers Thumb, which features many monkeys drumming on drums. And he said, 'I not monkey.' And then gave me his real name. I asked him what my name was. He said, 'Mama.' My other name, I suggested. 'Oh, Nicole.' I asked him what Husband's name was. 'Papa.' And his other name? 'Cheri.' Which tells you how often I call Husband sweety.

4. The phone line repair guy was here this afternoon trying to reestablish order and I stepped outside onto the sidewalk to answer a couple of questions and have a look at the mess. (Some tree and ivy trimming fellows got a little carried away and snipped through an important wire.) When I returned 5 mintues later, Boy1 was in tears, convinced I had abandonned him for life. It took 5 more minutes to calm him down. And 5 minutes after that, I had my life my phone line back.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did our race ever survive 100 years ago - no technology! Love the boys story - those words were the sweeetest words - I amlost teared up just reading it. My oldest is going thru the same stage - when I leave in the morning to go to work out - if I don't get back home before she wakes up, she falls apart with my husband because mommy is not home. When I explain to her that mommy needs to work out, she simply says thru her tears "no work mommy, no work".
Good luck, I hope your phone is back by the time you read this!

Lorraine said...

Sweet monkey babies.

Eric said...

Beth,
100 years ago was the golden age of technology, The automobile, the telephone, it was a time of unlimited possibilities for a great new future.
Just like today but different tech.

Anonymous said...

Boy 1 is sensitive just like his favorite uncle.

Anonymous said...

Eric, ok, so I'm not that up on my historical time line, so let us say 150 years ago.

Grish said...

Ha! I would go nuts without my internet...

Anonymous said...

ohmigod, sweet talking boys you got there! Comments like that make all the trouble worthwhile, don't they? I am going to go look at my sleeping children now