Thursday, February 01, 2007

Someone push my off button

Have you ever had one of those experiences where you're floating above your body, watching and listening to yourself, powerless to keep yourself from doing or saying that thing that's about to make you cringe? Let me illustrate.

I was at a PTA meeting at the Boys' Catholic school. Very nice people, very relaxed meeting where we had been discussing the set up and profits of the Christmas market. We were drinking tea and eating galette des rois. Bascially the meeting was over and we were just chatting. Yeah, that makes it less cringesque.

One of the members is pregnant (with her 5th [!] child). Someone asked her is she was planning to breastfeed. Someone asked me if I had breastfed mine. When I told them I weaned the boys at 2 1/2, I got an evitable, "2 1/2 years? Oh my gosh that's so long. What about their teeth?" This is the standard comment amongst populations where breasfeeding typically stops at 3 or 6 months, tops. Which is fine. People have always been respectful of my choices here, including where, when and how long I nursed. Anyway.

So I responded with my standard, "No, teeth aren't a problem. They can nurse without hurting you with their teeth. And they know that." Really? But still, blah blah blah. A lot of moms have a thing about the teeth thing. So finally, exasperated, I said, "You know, it's like with a straw, you don't have to put your teeth on the straw when you use one." Yeah, but still the teeth thing. Just couldn't let it go. So finally, REALLY exasperated, I said, "Oh come on, I can think of at least 2 fairly mainstream sexual acts that involve sucking things without the use of teeth."

At least the pregnant mom laughed.

I don't think they're going to include that in the meeting report.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you sure you aren't Italian, because that sounds exactly like something that would come tumbling from my lips before I had a chance to think about what I was saying. LOL! And btw, I breastfed until my son was 3, so I know what you mean by the "oh my gosh!" looks and gasps. And no, teeth don't matter one whit!

Anonymous said...

Open mouth and insert foot.

Anonymous said...

ps - as you know I breastfeed baby #1 until she was 2 and teeth didn't matter, but, now my 7 month old - she bites! I'm still nursing, but OUCH!!

Doc said...

BEAUTIFUL!

And I'm totally in awe that you were able to go so long with the breastfeeding. (as a side note, they're really pushing new moms to go at least six months now, a change from just three years ago when my firstborn came and they were all like, eh, three months is good.)

(is that bed still on offer?)

Nicole said...

Christi - That's not a very nice name for it little missy.

Gina - I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

Beth - She's just teething. Try frozen peas.

Doc - The bed is totally yours.

Doc and Gina - my email is nmmlr@wanadoo.fr