Friday, May 05, 2006

My liver's probably in crisis

Crise de foie. Literally translates as liver crisis. What's that? I looked it up in the French-English dictionary and I found bilious attack. Oh, yeah, that's better.

I've heard about bilious attacks for a while now, they're fairly common here. Not sure what they are, exactly. No one can really tell me specifically. They all just say things like, "You know, when you eat too much rich food and you're not bien." So, what, like a stomach-ache? But see, a stomach ache I understand because there's an ache in your stomach. And I'm quite certain I've never felt anything in my liver, ever, despite my indulgences in rich food and resulting stomach aches. That said, every acupunturist and osteopath and homeopath I've ever seen has told me my liver was congested or stagnated, so maybe that's why I don't feel it when it's in crisis. (No snide comments about alternative medicine please, I see you coming from an ocean away.)

None of this really mattered to me anyway until recently, while eating some chocolat (another shocker), a passerby (I was at the park with the boys) said, "Careful of your liver." Now, not only do I have to worry about the calories in chocolate and my inability to eat it in small quantities, I've apparently also got to add my liver's well-being to the list.

I should also note that foi also means faith. Le foie is liver and la foi is faith. But when you say crisis of faith, (crise de foi) it sounds exactly like liver crisis. So, my question is, how close is a crisis of faith to a bilious attack?

14 comments:

Nicole said...

Charlie - I am de bonne foie when I tell you that I have a mauvais foie. Please ask family quack for possible solutions for congestion and/or stagnation.

Anonymous said...

During a recent prenatal massage, I was told that Eastern medicine says that liver function is directly related to any form of grief that one has suffered from birth to current - although I have not checked this statement for accuracy - that's what I was told.

Nicole said...

Beth - Well then yours should be in about the same shape as mine...In one of my Chinese med books I read that the emotions related to the liver are anger and impatience. Don't know what I'm supposed to do with that knowledge.

Lorraine said...

I have faith in my liver.

Peter Mayle talks about crise de foie in one of the Provence books...I think fasting and mineral water were the "cure".

Anonymous said...

I fear for the well being of my liver function!

Anonymous said...

lorraine & nicole - mineral water I can stock up on, but I've had a long time erotic love affair with food, so fasting is not a option.

Anonymous said...

I guess based on your comments that I should not bring any FM turtles with me when we come as I am really concerned with your liver.

Nicole said...

Lorraine - you should - you are full of good faith and therefore, immune to bilious attacks.

Beth - My thing with food is a little less glamourous than yours but I couldn't fast either. Chinese med says to cut out coffee and chocolate. Yeah, right.

Zeb- given my behavoir the last time you brought those over, it would probably be best not to. Scary.

Anonymous said...

Nicole & Zeb - I used to think that FM Turtles were the best too, but now living in California, you must try See's Chocolates - oh so yummy!

Nicole said...

Beth - well fine then, but you know the only way I can try them is if some kind soul is nice enough to send some...

Anonymous said...

Of course I will send you some - email me if you are out of any of the usual favorites - Tums, Ginger Chews, etc

Anonymous said...

I have both the ginger chews and the tums already packed for our trip over.

Nicole said...

Yeah! Ginger chews. Very good for my liver.

Anonymous said...

When are Zeb and family arriving and I will try to have the chocolates there in time for all to enjoy! - Nicole - see your email.