Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Striptease

The first time I went to see a doctor in France it went something like this.

I walked into the dr's office, I sat down in a chair in front of his desk. Behind me was an examination room, no door. There was a secretary out at the front desk, and that's where she stayed the whole time I was there.

Dr asked me what the problem was, I told him. He asked me to get undressed and so he could examine me. I stood up, he stood up and we both waited. For what seemed like a really long time. He was waiting for me to get undressed and I was waiting for him to leave the room, obviously. Finally he said, "Would you undress please?" Of course, I said. Another pause. Eventually he said, "Um, now?" Oh. Ok. So I got undressed in front of the dr. Which should be no big deal, he was going to see me in my underwear and bra anyway, so why the hesitation?

Well, I guess it's because the act of undressing seemed more intimate and revealing than the being in my underwear in front of the guy. So that first time, I felt like a bad stripper on her first day at work. Uptight and unsure.

Since then, I've gotten used to the system here - undressing as soon as we finish talking, getting pelvic exams with no sheet, breast exams with no gown. Maybe a little bit too used to it.

The last time I was in Seattle, I had to see a dr. He and an intern came in, we talked, they asked me to get undressed and they would examine me. As soon as I heard the word undressed, up and nearly nude I got, before they had a chance to leave. They looked like it was their first time in a strip bar. Uptight and unsure.

6 comments:

Legal Alien said...

I had the same thing happen in a dentist's office once. VERY awkward.

beth said...

Once your paternal leave pay runs out, perhaps you have just discovered your new part time job! Only kidding - just think of the prayers to Mary you would have to do for that one!

charlie said...

Centre of Glasgow on Friday and Saturday night, they do that with no doctor present. I like to stay home those times.

christi said...

i'm sure my father loves to hear about ur hastiness in taking off your clothes... :)

Grish said...

Yep, a little different different here. hehe

Amy H said...

Great story - I hear you, sister!