Saturday, September 23, 2006

Why I haven't been posting much...

I'm in a terrible funk and, as everyone knows, unfunking one's self is not easily done.

It might be because I can never be the chef de famille. But I doubt it. Or it might be because the house deal fell through. But I really don't think so. It could be because my house is a disaster area and I can't seem to get motivated to change that. Or it could be because I'm imagining Christmas without my mom here with us in France - for the first time in 7 years. She's doing fine and the operation went well, but I'm sure transatlantic travel would not be wise this year. And the idea of Christmas without my American family is hard to look at.

Having said that, I realize I have many things to be grateful for. Mom is recovering. Work is going to be fine. The kids are doing well in school. Boy1 has made a new friend at his new school - the first - Inès, who has taken him under her wing and I love her already for that. Since the house deal fell through, Husband's freaky stress level has dropped dramatically. I spoke to my father last night and I felt good afterwards. Husband and I are planning a trip home for next summer, July most likely. (So please come to Illinois to see us if you can.)

One more thing. There is no word in French for funk. How strange.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

funks are allowed! I'm sorry to hear about the house deal. Just tell me when you will be there in July, and I WILL come home to see you - it's been just way too long.

Otilia said...

here's wishing you an un-funky day! Try having some of that food you keep telling us about that we can't get here. And a glass of wine.

Nicole said...

christi - which does not exempt you from visiting us...

beth - i'll let you know as soon as i know

edy - well, you know, funk rythmes with junk so I actually dipped into the stock of tootsie rolls in an effort to perk myself up. didn't work though. but i could feel the corn syrup and hydrogenated oil turning my blood into sludge. wine is a good suggestion, i'll try that tonight.

cbw - i'm not much of a spitter, but i have been snappy with the kids and snippy with the husband. they'll live. yes, illinois. i got a special dispensation for the being 36 thing.

Lorraine said...

I too am sorry about the house deal. Fingers crossed.

Come to Illinois? Bah. Get your ass over here.

I love you. Call me.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just tried calling you - I left a message. I'm sorry that you mom won't be there at Christmas. I can't wait for July!!

Lex Lata said...

Also, there are no good English words for ennui or anomie, now that you mention it.