Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Shaking my booty, apparently

This morning during a break, one of my students said ,''J'aime beaucoup votre déhanchement, Madame." I really like your.... I had never heard of déhancher or déhanchement. Given the fact that all the other students had rather vocal reactions to his comment, I was worried. I know that hanche is hip (the body part) so I was thinking hipness, but no, hip is only hip (cool) in English. Hippiness. God no, I'm no hippy. (Yes, of course, no friggin' offense to all the hippies out there. You're lovely people.) I sought help.

The secretary, who speaks English really well, reassured me. No, she said, it just means he likes the way you walk. Uh huh.

Husband put it differently.

During lunch, I asked him what déhancher means. He asked for the context. I gave it. He said, "It means you shake your ass when you walk."

Well I never.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I've got to say is, if you have it to shake, then shake it baby!

Anonymous said...

Hehehe. Cheeky boy!

Lorraine said...

Ah, again we see the difference between France and the US. Here that would be considered harassment. Shimmy shimmy shake.

Unknown said...

I love it! And I agree with Lorraine - here that would be harassment and the poor kid would be in the dean's office. I think I love France more every day. Shake that THANG missy!

Anonymous said...

This reminded me of a Van Halen video that you would not like.

Nicole said...

Beth - I guess I am.

Alison - They are REALLY cheeky here.

Lorraine and Gina - Agreeing with you and shaking it.

Zeb - I'm sure you're right. I don't think I've ever liked a Van Halen video. Or Van Halen.

Anonymous said...

directed here today by a search for the word déhanchement, just came across it in a review of a book about playboy playmates in reference to the classic pinup pose of putting all your weight on one leg and bending the other leg inward at the knee which puts a different curve on each hip.

yes, shake it if you got it!