Thursday, April 24, 2008

Something like an urban legend

So, there's been talk of an IKEA opening in Rennes. As a matter of fact, they've been talking about it for years. And then they started building it, or at least that's what everyone said. And they've been saying that for a while. Yesterday, internet searches, phone calls to friends who often go to Rennes and phone books revealed that, in fact, there is still no IKEA in Rennes. Will there ever be? Is it really under construction? Will everyone just have to keep going to the one in Nantes for years to come? I cannot say.

But I can say that I've learned a new word. L'arlésienne. Which comes from a short story by Alphonse Daudet. And which has come to mean an inexistent person or an overexistent person. Like what's his name in the Usual Suspects. Like the IKEA in Rennes.

I know, I know, IKEA isn't a person, but the one in Rennes is definitely both inexistent and overexistent.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain - the closest one to me is 2 hrs away

Ksam said...

I don't know if this is still the case, but I read an article in ouest-france a few months back that said it was scheduled to open in autumn 2008, in Pacé near the Cora.

L-Dizzle said...

So true, so true. So close yet so far away...

Anonymous said...

Nicole - I just tried calling you again and - again - I dialed the wrong number - I must have copied your number incorrectly when I changed address things to my address book - would you please either call me or email me your correct number. Thanks

Anonymous said...

You know what?!?! They have the same in Rouen!!! THE IKEA that will soon open, but still nobody knows when and where...

Sorry, we were in Laval this weekend but met nobody... Just one of those weekends I just want to forget :-(. Between me and Laval things really don't work..;-)

Lorraine said...

Kaiser Sose.

You're welcome.

And I'm very sorry you have no Ikea because really, the world would be a better place if everyone had easy access to their meatballs and lingonberry sauce.

Nicole said...

Beth- sorry for you.

Sam - I've heard everything from fall 2008 to fall 2009 to huh - ikea's coming to Rennes?

l-dizzle - exactly

Beth - I'll call you today

Jertta - I could've told you that! (about you and Laval I mean) sorry you had a bad weekend and very sorry I didn't get to see you.

Anonymous said...

It's so frustrating! I've been hearing the same rumors about Tours for about a year now and am stuck going to Nantes too. It's a conspiracy...but I'm not sure for what?