Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I learned today

Which is a good thing to be able to say about any day, I should think.

A new word. Retors. As in "Il est retors." Which is an unfortunate thing to have to say about anyone. But which, on occasion, is true. Whether it needs to be said or not is an entirely different subject.

The dictionary says crafty but it's a bit more pejorative than that. Maybe dipping a toe into shrewd or malicious. In any case, sly and probably underhanded.

Really, nothing you'd want to be around. But at least we know what it's called.

3 comments:

Rea said...

I savor those words which just don't translate exactly, with nuances that can't quite be described. Those little gems make all the second language awkwardness worthwhile.

notsospanish.wordpress.com

baresytapas said...

I entered this site by chance, but I found very interesting. A greeting to all the people who visit this page.

Nicole said...

Canadiagaditana - That is exactly it. I like your blog - I'll link you.

Baresytapas - thank you