Friday, March 16, 2007

Working it.

Occupational illnesses. Maladies professionnelles in French which I think is funny because it sounds like the illness is very professional instead of sounding like it's linked to the job.

Never given it much thought really. Aside from the obvious ones. Lumbar stuff for heavy lifters, lung stuff for coal miners, chronic colds for grade school teachers. How dim am I? Apparently there's an illness or two for every job out there.

Butchers? Bacteria. Factory workers? Noise. French civil servants? Laziness Depression.

As for me, an English teacher to 20-year olds who really couldn't care less? Headaches I get from banging my head against the wall.

9 comments:

Doc said...

I have exactly the same illness--'cept mine comes from marriage

Anonymous said...

Housewife - is there a label for being so tired of having kids with one cold or another since January - and a house in a constant state of requiring housework?

Anonymous said...

I just read your post from a few days ago re family/4kids - I wish I was younger for the main reason that I would love to have four kids - does that make me crazy? Hopefully my body will let me have one more when I'm done nursing this one!

Nicole said...

Doc - Yeah but how's the salary?

Beth - I've never met a house that wasn't in a constant state or requiring housework. Except my mother-in-law's. And hers doesn't because it actually gets constant housework. Wanting 4 kids doesn't make you crazy, it just means you're one of that other breed I was talking about.

Doc said...

Salary? SALARY? Have you lost your mind? It's called slavery, hon. The south has risen again, right here in Haute Marne.

Salary she says. Bwahahahaha

(looks like this week's a no go too, drat. Maybe next?)

Nicole said...

doc - maybe he considers the sex your salary...

next week is fine.

Doc said...

The sex? Oh hell, I'm screwed.

Unknown said...

Everything sounds so wonderful in French, doesn't it? Maladies professionnelles. How delightful! I suspect my son's French teacher (he's 20) felt likewise last semester. Though he did care, but he got a D+ in the class, so she undoubtedly figured he couldn't care less.

Nicole said...

Doc - Yes, I'd say you are.

Gina - So maybe I shouldn't be so hard on them, huh?