Thursday, February 21, 2008

A word about conversion

Or we could call this le cul entre deux chaises...

I've been baking a lot, especially lately. Most of the recipes I use are American, many even from the family cookbook compiled by a distant cousin years ago (an absolute treasure that cookbook for many reasons - excluding velveeta and cans of cream of mushroom soup). Which is fine, I have a set of measuring cups and spoons. But for some things, like butter, I have to convert. Butter is sold in rectangular blocks here, not sticks. So a half of a cup of butter, a stick, has to be converted into grams, (it's about 120 grams, by the way) and then I have to weigh it on my digital kitchen scale, which is also fine, it's just something that has to be done.

Because that's what happens when you live with your ass between two chairs. You do what is necessary to keep your ass right where it is and not lose your balance.

You integrate the conversions as you make them, building a database of duality. Sort that.

Which two chairs are you sitting on?

7 comments:

david santos said...

Thanks for your posting and have a good day!

Nicole said...

David - You too.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to be sitting on more than two chairs? If you would like some more good ol' fashioned American recipes - I have several and would be happy to send them - baking or cooking recipes

Nicole said...

Beth - more than two? you only got two butt cheeks, I'm not sure how you would manage.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I know this well. Great post.

Anonymous said...

But I do have an italian butt - so I'm sure I could manage more than two.

Anonymous said...

California and Missouri.
Mom and Breadwinner
Newly divorced and Newly dating.
Sad and Happy
Old and Young
Cynical and Faithful
I have a lot of butts
Julie