Wednesday, November 08, 2006

What's your soul state today?

Mine's unsettled right now but transitioning into something better. It'll be a good state to live in by the end of the week. (I can think of some other states that will be better for living now too. Nice elections.)

Ah, l'état d'âme.

Different from a state of mind or an emotional state, the state of the soul is certainly not given enough press in English. Maybe we pretend that souls don't have states, they just are what they are. Or maybe we don't talk about it specifically because we don't have special words for it. Like l'état d'âme.

Quite honestly, I don't like much the way we use those words in French. They're usually used negatively to describe someone's capriciousness and/or egocentricity and rarely to mean what they really do mean. For example, "I don't have time for his états d'âme." Of course, I use it literally and never negatively because I just think it's such a perfect expression.

So back to my question. What's your soul state today?

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

The state of my soul today?You have exactly one guess.

Anonymous said...

Most days my answer would be pretty good - but today, not so good.

Anonymous said...

Mine is terrible because Texas is now the only state safe to live in.

Anonymous said...

Zeb - you're a funny guy!