Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Cake anyone?

So, while I was in the States, I bought a Martha Stewart cake decorating kit at K-Mart.
In an effort to nip any bickering in the bud, I also made small cakes for the boys to have fun with.

This one is Boy2's. He was going for a maximum amount of frosting in a minimum amount of space.



And this one is Boy1's. He was going for art. As usual.

The cake's actually a vegan recipe, thanks to Boy2's really fun egg allergy. Oh gosh, I've come full circle and I didn't even want to. And the frosting is the recipe from the Magnolia Bakery. Very tasty. And not vegan, it's buttercream. Buttercream should never be vegan. Although I did have to search for hours to find one without eggs. Did you know most buttercream recipes have eggs, or meringue powder. Like I can get that here. And even if I could, I bet it has eggs in it too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cakes look fantastic. And, Happy Anniversary - is it 9 years?

Anonymous said...

Tell boy 2 that I would have also used as much icing as possible. If you really think about it cake has only 1 purpose- to hold icing.

Lorraine said...

Nicey nice. And happy anniversary. Oh my yord...such fun memories. Yours was the second best wedding I've ever been to in my life, ever.

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Congratulations on your anniversary (and on finding allergy-friendly cake and icing recipes)!

Lex Lata said...

I see the boys subscribe to the Cheney shotgun theory of sprinkles. Very effective at close range.

Bad Alice said...

This made me hungry enough to eat one of my daughter's leftover pancakes. I'm going to have to find a way to make a delicious cake without using wheat flour, now that hubby can't eat it. Sigh.
Happy anniversary.

Nicole said...

Beth - It is indeed 9 years.

Zeb - He agrees as to real purpose of cake.

Lorraine - Thank you.

Sarah - Thank you. congrats to you too!

Lex - I'm hoping that's as close as he'll ever come to the Republican party.

Alice - I never use wheat flour. This cake was made with spelt flour. Let me know if you want the recipe.