Monday, August 06, 2007

Laval in August

Well, not much is open. At least not until after the 15th or 21st. All the bakeries in the neighborhood are closed. As well as the butcher shops, magazine shops, and even some cafés.

However, my favorite salon de thé/café, La Maison Renaise, is open. All summer long. Which is so nice. And the owner, Laurent, a most charming man, even makes iced coffee drinks.

And, my good luck doesn't stop there. Remember Ze World? That new place opening up that I made fun of because of that ridiculous name? (And I still stand by that.) Anyway, it opened while we were away. And today, while on our penny walk, the kids and I stopped in to have a look. And we were all very pleased with what we saw. Café and wine bar. One stop consuming for me. It's big and very chic for Laval and a 3 minute walk from my house. On the way to my favorite bakery. How cool is that?

And in case you're wondering, a penny walk is when you let the penny decide where you go. It's vacation, we amuse ourselves however we can.

8 comments:

Lorraine said...

We will go to Ze World next summer, no?

Do you toss the penny and follow it?

Clever, clever mother.

Nicole said...

We will definitely go to ze world next summer. And of course La Maison Renaise, which is where I got the violet stuff. We toss the penny - head is left or straight, tails is right or straight.

Unknown said...

I love the penny walk! It is so clever. And I can't even imagine what it must be like to have all teh BAKERIES in the neighborhood closed! How does one eat? And butcher shops? Crazy French! Ze World sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

love the idea of the penny walk!

Anonymous said...

ps - re last post - are you back to drinking coffee?

Nicole said...

Gina - I know! Can you believe it?

Beth - Decaf. And you have no idea how it pains me to say (and drink) that.

Unknown said...

Decaf! Why bother? ;)

Nicole said...

Gina - I know. Believe me, I know. But life is too sad with no coffee at all.